Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Current Event #3 - Andy Ihnatko's Obituary of Steve Jobs


I personally think this is the biggest story in the tech world this week and for quite a while. Regardless of what you think of Steve Jobs he truly was a visionary in the technology world. As I'm writing about my current event on the computer he created or at least encouraged someone to build, I'm searching on my iPhone for a misspelling of a word and texting a friend who'd had a bad day. What would I do without them?
I am reflecting on the impact he's had on my life and those of others. Where would we be if we didn't have personal computers or Smart phones to work with? Would we have Web 2.0 tools? Would we have been able to just "Google It?" Would we have been able to do our learning over the computer? Do many of us even realize that Steve Jobs and Apple Computers really changed the way we communicate, interact, collaborate and educate children.
HIs death is sad and as I write this, I'm fighting back tears. I think we've lost a person who inspired us to do better and be better. He was a leader and a visionary. Steve wanted us to imagine the imaginable. I think as a teacher that's what I want my students to do as well.
Andy Inhakto's obituary is a wonderful tribute to Steve Jobs. I loved his personal story about the NeXT cube. Isn't it wonderful to think that perhaps it was Steve on the phone that day. I know I sure would like to believe that it was. Andy said it well, "Still: yesterday, I lived on a world with a Steve Jobs in it. Tonight, I don’t. That’s truly how I feel right now."

April

2 comments:

  1. That was a great article! Funny, personable and inspiring all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy did a wonderful job of paying tribute to Steve Jobs.

    ReplyDelete