Sunday, October 16, 2011

How Many Tools Are Needed?

I'm a Kitchen Gadget collector...Yes! I am confessing to LOVING kitchen gadgets and I know I've got a problem. I've returned from another Pampered Chef party and I just had the last order from a party a week ago delivered last night. If you've never tried their products, you should. Great quality and warranty that's outstanding.
As I was putting away my products I was reflecting on owning 6 measuring cups and then having just purchased two more. Everyone said I couldn't live without this Measure All  and the Mini Measure All so I had to have them. Secretly, I really did want them especially for my Peanut Butter Cookies at Christmas time. It's such a pain getting the peanut butter out of the measuring cup. This way the solids come seamlessly out of the tube. Are all of these measuring cups needed? 
Well, it depends on the job you're doing. As I am reflecting on Web 2.0 tools, collaboration and how they can be used for educational purposes I am wondering if one can have too many choices of Web 2.0 tools? Does having an abundance of tools cause us to become stressed about how to use them? Does it become overwhelming to learn and incorporate these tools into our already very busy schedules? I am contemplating these questions and many more as I learn more about other Web 2.0 tools. I know I'm still keeping all my measuring cups because at various times they all come in handy. Perhaps that's how we need to utilize Web 2.0 tools, keep them stored someplace for when they will come in handy.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you! I find that teachers want to add these tools to the classroom but are reluctant to share precious time to learn how and when to incorporate them. It is a tough situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very tough Brenda. I find myself being really excited. For example, I want to get my kids set up with a gmail account and have them start getting updates when someone comments on their blogs but I need time to work it out in my head with 19 little grade two's.
    I think the key is starting small and working up. For some email is a big stretch but at least it's a start.
    I like knowing that the tool is always going to be there and that it doesn't have to be used right this instant. Some people have more time to explore while others don't. The important thing though is to not forget that you should be at least trying something.

    The Math Whisperer

    ReplyDelete